You’re probably nervous if you’re preparing for your first karate tournament, but rest assured that it gets easier. Here’s a checklist to help you get ready for the big day.
Remember to take all of the things home with you from the dojo on the last karate class you attend before the tournament day!
- Washed and ironed gi. Your presentation reflects on FKU, IKF, and Sensei Aleeta.
- Flip flops, sandals, or other slip-on shoes.
- Red and blue belts.
- Red and blue fist pads.
- Mouth guard.
- Helmet, for all competitors under 18 years old.
- Your weapon, if you are competing in kobudo.
- Water bottle.
- Your toenails and fingernails need to be trimmed short. They should not extend past the ends of your toes or fingers.
- Do not wear jewelry, metal hair clips, or anything decorative, e.g. headbands. Ordinary hair bands are fine.
If you don’t have one already, you can pick up an FKU bag at the dojo for a suggested donation of $20. Be sure to write your name in it!